Lentils with Macaroni
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 rib celery heart, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups (8 oz.) green or brown lentils
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) vegetable broth
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
Warm the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Stir. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until golden. Add the lentils, salt, and pepper. Stir.
Add the broth and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the macaroni and 2 tablespoons parsley. Partially cover and cook for about 6 minutes, or until the macaroni is almost al dente. If the mixture is dry, heat the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Add just enough to the pot to moisten the mixture. Remove from the heat to sit for 5 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each portion with parsley.