Red Snapper on Potato Cakes with Salsa Verde
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4 red snappers cut into fillets
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp each fresh basil, chervil, chive and oregano leaves
- ¾ cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ red and yellow peppers, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 50 g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 cups Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups carrots, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, cut into matchstick strips
- 2 tbsp corn flour
First make the Salsa Verde: blend shallot, garlic and herbs, 6 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the vinegar in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the diced peppers and set aside.
To make potato cakes, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for 10-15 minutes, then mash. Sauté the red onion in 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for 3 minutes then stir into the mashed potato with the tomatoes. Shape into four 10 cm wide cakes then fry in 4 tbsp of olive oil for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
Half fill a pan with the Mild & Light Olive Oil and heat to 180°C/350°F. Coat the carrot and zucchini sticks with corn flour, then deep fry them in batches for 2-3 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm. Fry the red snapper fillets in the remaining olive oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.
To serve, arrange potato cakes in the centre of four plates, heap fish and vegetables on top and drizzle the Salsa Verde dressing around each.