Homemade Meatballs and Tomato Sauce
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- 225 g (1/2 lb) ground Veal
- 225 g (1/2 lb) lean ground Beef
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Parmigiana Cheese
- 1 ½ cups Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 4 – 796 ml (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 – 156 ml (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup dry basil
- 1 cup red wine
Take meat, breadcrumbs, eggs and cheese and mix together with your hands in a large bowl. Heat ½ cup of Filippo Berio Olive Oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Add garlic and onion, sauté until translucent, about 3 min, transfer to a large pot.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and basil in the pot, stir and bring to a boil on high heat, then simmer at low heat.
Roll meat into balls, about golf ball size. Clean frying pan and heat 1 cup of Filippo Berio Olive Oil over medium heat.
Brown the meatballs for 1 minute on each side and then transfer to the pot. Cook on medium heat for 2 hours.