Barley with Mushrooms Risotto-Style
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, divided
- 227 g (8 oz) Portobello mushroom caps, cut into ½ cm chunks
- 1 box (312 g or 11 oz) quick-cooking barley
- 1 bunch scallions, all parts, sliced
- 2 cans (398 ml or 14 oz each) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the mushrooms. Stir and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms give off liquid. Uncover and cook for about 4 minutes, or until browned.
Add the barley and scallions. Stir to combine. Add the broth, a pinch of salt, and the pepper. Bring to almost a boil. Cover and reduce heat so the mixture just simmers. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat. Stir in Parmesan and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if desired.