Riso e fagioli
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1.2 L (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g (14 oz) can borlotti beans, rinsed & drained
- 115 g (4 oz) arborio rice
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, add all the chopped vegetables and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes to soften. Pour in the stock, add tomato purée and half of the beans, bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Mash the remaining beans then add to the soup, season with salt and pepper if needed and stir well until hot.
Add parsley then serve each portion with a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Serve immediately as this soup becomes very thick if left to stand.
Pearl spelt can also be used instead of rice but this will add an extra 15 minutes to the overall cooking time.