Italian Beef Olives
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 75 g (2 ½ oz) pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75 g (2 ½ oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 4 thin-cut steaks, about 100 g (4 oz) each
- 4 slices prosciutto, halved
- 450 g (15 oz) fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 150 ml (2/3 cup)red wine
- To serve: Pasta, fresh basil and parsley
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F
Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pan, add the pinenuts and cook for 1 minute, stirring until golden and toasted. Cool then roughly chop the nuts. Mix the pinenuts, garlic, cheese, parsley and basil together in a bowl with 1 tbsp more of the olive oil. Season with black pepper.
Place the steaks on a board, cover with clear film and use the end of a rolling pin to beat the steak until it is really thin (about 5 mm thick). Cut each steak into two pieces. Top each piece of steak with a slice of prosciutto. Spoon the cheese mixture over one end of each steak. Roll up, enclosing the filling and secure with cocktail sticks.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan. Add the beef rolls and fry for 6-8 minutes, turning until browned. Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the red wine, and simmering for a further 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced slightly. Pour the tomatoes over the beef rolls and bake for 10 minutes.