Asian Crab Cakes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio Olive Oil, divided
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 142 g (5 oz.) crab meat, all shell fragments removed
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup prepared brown rice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a sauté pan. Add onion and garlic, sautéing for 3-4 minutes without browning.
In a mixing bowl, gently fold together sautéed mixture, crab meat, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce, cilantro and salt. Gently fold in rice, egg and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and continue folding until well blended.
Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place breadcrumbs onto a plate; coat each patty.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan, over medium high heat. Sauté crab cakes for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side, only turning once.
If bread crumbs brown too quickly, remove crab cakes from the pan and finish cooking in a 350º F (180°C) oven on a cookie sheet, lined with aluminum foil.