Applesauce Spice Cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 - 25 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, plus some for the pan
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Powdered sugar or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) square pan with olive oil. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and olive oil with electric mixer at medium speed until blended. Add applesauce; mix well. Add flour mixture all at once; beat on low speed until well blended. Stir in raisins and nuts. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve plain, dusted with powdered sugar or frosted with whipped cream, if desired.